Barcroft History Page

The Barcroft Station was built in 1951.

The photos below were taken during the construction of the main quonset hut building summer, 1951.
A larger version of some photos may be obtained by clicking on the photo itself.

To see the current facilities, visit the virtual tour page. A 1956 newsletter article shows Nello Pace and other researchers, including a photo of a small airplane landed near the station!

Barcroft Station, soon after construction in 1951

Barcroft Station in 1956, as seen from airplane

 

by 1957 there were more buildings

 

by 1963 the dome was constructed above Barcroft. The infrared telescope was used to measure the surface temperature of the moon, planets, and some stars.

This photo was taken in 1963